Saturday, October 13, 2018

Diverse Opportunities

With a slow start to the Ski season due to a minimal amount of natural snow I can only appreciate how many activities there are to do in the canyon and at Snowbird ski resort. One can participate and indulge one's senses in any of their preferred recreational endeavors.

There are 6 ski runs open. As I observe the mountain skiers in their colorful attire they are a vivid contrast against the bright snow and an even more noticeable contrast when the seemingly bleak landscape is dotted with the colorful skiers traversing the mountain. An enjoyable thing to watch. With a bit of imagination the scene resembles what might best be described as live and somewhat abstract painting in motion.

I came up the canyon today with the intention of seriously getting right to work on preliminary sketches and drawings for concieved  paintings to be. However my intentions were a bit delayed. It may seem an abnormal thought, that of swimming outdoors on a winter day but that is what captured my interest and happily caused my delay in working on the sketches. The Cliffs spas perfectly heated pool was my perfect excuse for getting some much needed exercise before setting out on my intended work. After a swim and a good soak in the hot tub I spent God knows how many hours just observing as much as possible every detail  and subtle nuances of the mountains. It is said and also my lifetime experience that you do not really see anything until you paint it.

As an artist I never tire of observing the mountains features and today while observing the mountains exterior features I have let myself daydream of the mountains interior. The mountains internal guts are a maze of mine tunnels, unseen remnants of the areas historys silver mining. While most all of the tunnels remain hidden from sight and a mystery to the casual onlooker. One of the tunnels is still used. Snowbird has a people conveyor that a skier can travel on through the mountain to access the Mineral Basin ski area. (Google it on YouTube )

With renewed energy I will conclude this post and get to those sketches
\

No comments:

Post a Comment